Platoon cards

Post your scenarios and battle reports here.
FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Platoon cards

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu May 12, 2011 10:28 pm

So does anyone still using platoon cards?

I always liked them, even after the card revisions that made them redundant. Not all the cards cost more, so some are still a deal. The way we play is with platoon cards unless the scenario creator restricts them, which happens about half the time, they are allowed as are support units.

We also have platoon cards built by Locozugmeister and his group also. Their cards are pretty neat as the units get special powers like the Russian rocket trucks get indirect fire in the card cost.

I am not sure if anyone still uses them or would be interested in seeing Locozugmeisters cards.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Wardog314

Re: Platoon cards

Unread post by Wardog314 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:32 am

I would like to see the cards. Sounds like a good way to find units for an army.

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Fri May 13, 2011 6:08 pm

IMO, after the revision the WOTC platoons became really unbalanced. We stopped using them then.

I made up a set of House rules platoons and sections for our gaming group based on real TO&Es. The goal for those was to help people build an army faster and to encourage historical play. You got a 10% discount if you bought the pieces as a platoon rather than separately. The 10% discount was pretty low compared to some of the WOTC platoons' discounts. I haven't updated these for several sets. As the group went their separate ways, there wasn't the need for it anymore.
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol:

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:30 am

my group never started using them at all. it seemed like a good idea to build forces faster, and maybe give a break in points to the US and other countries. It would be nice to see something like that again, but larger forces. just a thought.

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Mon May 16, 2011 1:33 pm

Never used them, but I prefer to make somewhat "historical" builds - like my UK Army in our cooperatice Campaign. This is best if you make big builds...

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon May 16, 2011 1:38 pm

dano903 wrote:my group never started using them at all. it seemed like a good idea to build forces faster, and maybe give a break in points to the US and other countries. It would be nice to see something like that again, but larger forces. just a thought.
I like the saving a few points part of Platoon cards, but I also like getting pieces in the Platoons that you wouldn't normally buy.

I will see if Locozugmeister is interested in posting some of his platoons for us to look over.

[web 100%,700]http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/aam/ah20070920c[/web]
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:47 am

My gaming friend & I use the Expanded Rules Formations about half the time when we get to play. Time is usually limited for us, so they save time building & we get to battling a little quicker. Also, most of them are still cheaper than buying the individual units. Most are between 5 to 8 pts.less on average.