Glue

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Glue

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:55 pm

I to start this thread to find out what different types of glue folks use and how they use it. There is Model glue, crazy glue, contact cement and more.

Tell is newbies what kind of glue you use and how it works best. If you have had a bad experience with certain glues let us know also.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Re: Glue

Unread post by dano903 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Real quick... I use a hobby superglue, 10-20 sec. Set time, gap filling, thick. Purple cap...1/2 oz. Bottle...EXTREMELY, VERY IMPORTANT... 1/2 oz. Bottle.

redskullz

Unread post by redskullz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:16 pm

dano903 wrote:Real quick... I use a hobby superglue, 10-20 sec. Set time, gap filling, thick. Purple cap...1/2 oz. Bottle...EXTREMELY, VERY IMPORTANT... 1/2 oz. Bottle.

Sounds great! Need to find some!

OKay i use different glues for different jobs.

PVA Glue( white glue): I found the superior glue for white glue to be Weldbond. Excellent glue, that'll bond more materials than Elmers. I multi coat all of my foam scenery with black tinted weldbond. Also great for sticking down flocks, sand, gluing together foamcore, or styrofoam. I do small applications using slightly watered down weldbond in a 20ml syringe.

Crazy GLues: Great for quick glues, but only on certain materials.(some plastics don't stick, some melt) Great for gluing fingers together though!(pain in the arse glue is what i call it!)

Epoxy: This is where its at for me if i want durability. 1 hour epoxy glues are great but slightly hard to work with(will have to pin small pieces on a mod for example) Lepage epoxy also works well on stryofoam.

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:56 pm

here's my glues:
CA - I use the basic Krazy glue but the best I have used, but expensive is the Loctite here. It comes out as a gel and can be placed where you want it - really good stuff - but I used one bottle pretty quick - so now I'm a bit more frugal.
CA.JPG
My epoxies: just some basic stuff I use to strengthen....
epoxy.JPG
And a liquid plastic cement - works great as well - need to experiment with how much to use. The stuff here is generally hard to find so when I do find it - I buy several bottles. also one shown in its working container. these bottles tend to tip over.....
LIqCem.JPG
And an example of glueing - Dano's oerlikon:
Attachments
20mm detailed.JPG

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:07 pm

I love the way he explains things...pix, and text... Priceless!

CA only for me. There are needs for the others, but for what I do...that's all I need. Well, and some watered down tacky glue for terrain.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:17 pm

Good info pfc. Thanks!
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:41 pm

dano903 wrote:I love the way he explains things...pix, and text... Priceless!

CA only for me. There are needs for the others, but for what I do...that's all I need. Well, and some watered down tacky glue for terrain.
I use a free editor I got on line called Photoscape v3.6 found here http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/300 ... 03122.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I use the editor selection - quick easy way to label. but once you close down the program you can't edit what was changed or added. So.... I always save as whatever I end up calling it.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue May 01, 2012 12:00 am

When I posted this thread I was thinking 'glue was glue' but now I'm finding out a lot more. I'm hearing about epoxy's, gels, liquids so I surmise that once you hit a certain level you branch out. Which generates a few questions.

Where does liquid glue work best?
Where does super glue work best?
Where does epoxy glue work best?
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:29 am

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:When I posted this thread I was thinking 'glue was glue' but now I'm finding out a lot more. I'm hearing about epoxy's, gels, liquids so I surmise that once you hit a certain level you branch out. Which generates a few questions.

Where does liquid glue work best?
Where does super glue work best?
Where does epoxy glue work best?
I would have to answer by saying it depends on the person and what they're doing with it. a fine example is pfclt... very FINE construction...exact work, minimum glue residue wanted. Epoxy and CA/

for myself...hill hexes are not a fine construction item. watered down elmers works wonders for me with flocking. CA glue for everything else from trees, bricks, and sandbags. I look at cost when it comes to mass production like a gaming board etc.

KennyJman
Mod
Mod

Unread post by KennyJman » Tue May 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Ha Ha Ha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does anyone else find humorous and extremely ironic that the "Glue" thread got posted as a "Sticky"???