B-25 1/72 scale project

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

pfclt

B-25 1/72 scale project

Unread post by pfclt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:29 am

First post: research
When creating a historical replica - research is important but doesn’t always assure accuracy. These are most of my sources for this project. There is also a disc somewhere with a dozen manuals covering the B-25. Many of the pics in the B-25 Pic notebook came from the internet or internet purchase. I've also watched Doolittle raid documentaries a few times. (edit 1/19/11 --- not in the picture as I lent it to somebody but I did read The Doolittle Raid; 1991; Schiffer Publishing; author Carroll V. Glines. This didn't help with the B-25 detail knowledge though there was some stuff in there but important to have read the book - just being involved with the project. - Well written, and I believe Glines is the best historian on this subject. I think I read that somewhere.)
sources.JPG
2nd having a log is probably a good idea - that is the top notebook in the above photo. I don’t know how many things I did over the years; I wish I could remember what and - how I did them. Forums like these will be a good future reference for others in terms of these minis. The picture below shows the first page I actually dated in the log for this project – I made so many changes I stopped doing that a few years later.
first date entry reduced.JPG

Next post models chosen............

dano903
The King
The King

Re: B-25 1/72 scale project

Unread post by dano903 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:21 am

a NOTEBOOK...that's something I've never mentioned here. I try to keep a log book of my ideas, material used, colors, and any notes. I can refer back to it anymost anytime, when I can find it! I'll doodle some notes, future projects etc. Sometimes I'll simply write, "THIS DID NOT WORK!". When and if I have the time, I can refer back to my mistakes etc. and try to improve on it, or just give up. My last comment on this is... I always look for new material, and when I find it, I can jote down some ideas.

LOL- watching a movie is a great way to get an idea about a project etc. I drive the kids crazy when I watch the military ch. I'll pause and rewind some clips just to get an idea.

thank you for this example!

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:31 am

My intent on this thread is to explain and show the development of this project. Choices, reasons, short comings, etc. kind of a learning process and a way for me to actually document this thing somewhat. Anybody wanting further explanation of any detail – let me know.

My history and involvement with the project:

When I first got involved with this project ---- the models were already purchased and started. Several were made and I just continued with what had gone before. But the quality wasn’t that good. In the process of building and researching I came to realize there was a lot to be desired in the models being used (Monogram/Revell Snap Tite). I started looking around and discovered one that was advertised as the Doolittle B-25. The quality and detail was much better. So after evaluating several factors I decided to go with it- the Italaerei model #123. $15 times 18 ---- I’ve since bought several more at varying prices. In addition I have bought a considerable number of the original planes being used at 3+ times the original price of $5-6. After many years and changes to this project and knowing what I know now – I would have gone with the original and accomplished my adaption’s accordingly and saved money. But that’s life ---

to the project:
Reasons for changing from the Snap Tite to the Italaerei:
1.) I believe this (the engines pics below) was one of the major reasons the Italaerei was chosen.
orig eng cmprd.JPG
My eventual work on the engines is also probably my best work ever and represents a winter of work. And they are still not complete:
engine 1-2-3.JPG
The winters work:
lot of work - engines.JPG
A second reason would be the landing gear as indicated in this picture of the main landing gear with notes:
landing gear.JPG
A third reason would be the gun turret as seen below:
gun turret.JPG
And there are more reasons - If when I run across them and think they are worth mentioning - I'll add them here.

Next post some details.....................................

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:27 am

COCKPIT DETAIL Not much explanation required - I think it is all in the pics. If you would like to know any detailed info - I will oblige.
Attachments
cockpit detail pic.JPG
some cockpit details.JPG

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Wow. Your attention to detail is amazing. Is it going to be able to fly when you're done? :D
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol:

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:18 pm

Pletch wrote:Wow. Your attention to detail is amazing. :D
Thanks for the compliment - and I would say it is probably to the point that I wonder if there isn't something psychologically wrong with me. It really annoys me that I can't get some detail from lack of knowledge or skill to obtain that detail and some of the detail there, isn't really seen at this scale. I actually punched out some shim that would simulate the estimated fin gap (1/4" gap would be the thickness of a post-it paper - the fins probably smaller by 1/3) on the engine to get an idea of what it would look like. When I started stacking the layers - you couldn't see the the difference between fins and gap. I think I suspected - but did the experiment anyway. So the engine detail I spent carving is just a simulation so to speak. So what do you think - I probably asked myself?........ I went with the simulation.
Pletch wrote: Is it going to be able to fly when you're done? :D
:lol: That would be amazing --------- but I was thinking that having a radio controlled B-25 flying around when the ship is launched would be kinda cool for the videos - I assume will be shot - (years away...........???).

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:03 am

Here's a shot of all three models , Italaeri, snap-tite, and the one I'm working on.

I stuck a couple of my backup spares together with tape for the demonstration here. It shows the stuff I discovered wrong with the Italaeri after working on them for some time. Most of the things pointed out look correct on the Snap-tite.

planes compared.JPG

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:48 am

10 years has sure been worth it to see a glimps of what you've done! If you have any spare parts, I would like to bid on them to help you pay for your project. Even an engine would be fantastic as long as you sign it. I really appreciate the highlighted script to point out the fine details. thank you, thank you, thank you!

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Awesome thread pfc. Very well done and great instructional aids also. Not only the work is good but your presentation is as good.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:17 pm

FieldMarshall wrote:Awesome thread pfc. Very well done and great instructional aids also. Not only the work is good but your presentation is as good.
dano903 wrote:10 years has sure been worth it to see a glimps of what you've done! If you have any spare parts, I would like to bid on them to help you pay for your project. Even an engine would be fantastic as long as you sign it. I really appreciate the highlighted script to point out the fine details. thank you, thank you, thank you!
Pletch wrote:Wow. Your attention to detail is amazing. Is it going to be able to fly when you're done? :D
Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you.................. This is also helping me not only to be comfortable with what I'm doing ... but I'm feeling a little more motivated........ I kind of downplay the praise sometimes .... But I think its really positive more than I realize. Things can always be better which leads one to downplay compliments, but you have to draw a line when it comes to this stuff and just go with what you have .......

So Thanks............ right now I'm off to help my son with his brakes and starter (hopefully battery) edit: sorry about this comment - off topic - I tend to do that but follow up: brakes and broken lug fixed - it was the battery - up and running......