3" Hexes!!! WiP

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

dano903
The King
The King

3" Hexes!!! WiP

Unread post by dano903 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:11 am

This is the first attempt for a 3" Trench hex from a mold. The mold is a bit "muddy", but I can improve with time. I would like some opinions... should the trench be a full "hex", or should i make them more of a "flowing motion" like a river without the hard corners of the hex. My feelings are to make them more of a flowing river than a hard point hex. The hexes would still fit a 3" hex. Another advantage without the hard points of a hex is that the trench system could be used with open fields for other gaming systems.

muddy= non crisp lines and shapes. I can make the planks more defined, and perhaps add a bit more detail.

here's the deal... if there is some interest in these...I can make molds for a 3" hex. I would make 2 each of a different straight piece, curved, and a "Y". That would be a nice variety being you won't need too many of them. To cover casting cost, each piece would run about $1.25 each plus shipping. I would make up a "set", and have other available. Just a thought.

again, these are 3" flat edge to flat edge. I'll make a mock-up of a flowing version later this weekend.

pfclt

Re: 3" Hexes!!! WiP

Unread post by pfclt » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:11 pm

yeah I agree dano --

The flowing idea seems best -- if I understand what you are saying -- especially for you to supply a variety of gaming systems. The only advantage to the hex is it works well for hex based gaming systems and even there it is limited to the size hex you make, otherwise it wouldn't work very well.

I personally like the hex as I have always played hex based war games and think you create them well. But... very limiting.

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:02 am

if I craft the flowing trench system...it would still be modeled to fit a 3" hex, but without the hard points of a hex. I'll try to work up a sample.

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:50 am

here's version 2. I made a copy of a map with 3" hexes on it. I'll make two molds...a 2 section straight flowing hex, and a 3" curved hex. These are designed to fit a AAM 3" hex map without the hard points of the hexes. From here, I'll make a master terrain piece to fit the outline of the hexes, then cast a rubber mold for them. I should be able to cast these in resin for strength as well. Let's see how this goes!

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:05 am

i'll use a piece of floor tile for my base. I have the outline for the 2-section straight and the single curved piece.

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:17 pm

here are the molds frames and preparing for the ,mold mix. I use a floor tile material to frame them to the height and width I need to cover the mold. I then waterproof it with a slightly water downed wood glue mix. I'll paint the wood glue into the corners, and any other leak points. It's just a cheap way to waterproof the mold box. I'll let the glue dry, maybe apply one more coat, and pour the mold this afternoon. I can then pour the hydrostone cast tonight, and start pouring resin tomorrow. The mold needs some tume to completely dry before I start using the resin mix. imho

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:19 pm

I'll probably end up with just these two molds in a 3" design. It's just too much money to spend on something I don't know if I'll get an investment back on, and due to the size... you won't need too many of them.

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:31 pm

Any suggestions for smaller terrain pieces/ accent pieces? Looking for ideas like guard shacks, row boats etc

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:14 pm

The first results are ok, but muddy. I have a design issue, but it will work still. Pics later tonight.

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:44 pm

I would use seconds/flaws/misc lol

Great work as always dano! :D