Painting Brushcutters

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Painting Brushcutters

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:43 am

This question is mainly directed to Ober but any of you Master Artists can chime in too.

The Ober provided Cullen Devices/Brushcutters are bare metal. Do they require priming or can I use unthinned Black paint on them? I use acrylic paint in my painting of Minis. I have 3 to paint & then attach to some Sherman's & would like know the proper procedure for this.

Thanks for assistance in this, my latest project. You guys have created a Monster by getting me into this painting/modelling stuff...:D

Stalker6

Re: Painting Brushcutters

Unread post by Stalker6 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:01 am

I would recommend using a quality primer on any metal miniature. It helps the paint adhere and not chip/flake off as easy. Also seal with a quality matte finish like dullcote to further protect the finish during game play and handling.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:37 am

Stalker6 wrote:I would recommend using a quality primer on any metal miniature. It helps the paint adhere and not chip/flake off as easy. Also seal with a quality matte finish like dullcote to further protect the finish during game play and handling.
:bowty: Stalker nailed it. Couldn't give any better advice.

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks guys,I figured it was necassary to prime them but just wanted verification. Got the primer coat applied this AM, beating the winds forecast for today & when that dries a bit more, any suggestions as to color besides Black....:D

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:57 pm

curtm1911 wrote:Thanks guys,I figured it was necassary to prime them but just wanted verification. Got the primer coat applied this AM, beating the winds forecast for today & when that dries a bit more, any suggestions as to color besides Black....:D
Something like olive green should do. A darker green would also work where its low on the tank its likely to be in a bit of a shadow area. Don't forget to apply some wash in and around the corners of the cutters once the base color is applied.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:58 pm

:bowty: Also, paint the tips and sides with a slash of silver to show wear and tear from hedgerow busting.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:30 am

Locozugmeister wrote::bowty: Also, paint the tips and sides with a slash of silver to show wear and tear from hedgerow busting.
Actually, what I did on the first Sherman I converted was take a flat needle file & expose bare metal on the front tips, inside the prongs & the sides, then dull coat. Authentic ya know.......looked good that time, should look good this time too.....:D