Paint

discuss minis painting and modeling with our resident modeler.

Moderators: Locozugmeister, dano903

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Paint

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 pm

I have a lot of questions about painting minis, so I started this thread to discuss paint, brushes and techniques.

What type of paints are used? Oil, Acrylic, water based?

Are their certain brands that you prefer?

What is the rule of thumb for thinning paint?

Do you mix your own colors or do you purchase colors as per your needs?

Are there a difference in brushes?

Do you airbrush paint?

What is meant by Dry-brushing?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Re: Paint

Unread post by dano903 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 pm

I use acrylic. only for the ease of cleaning, price and thinning.

it depends for me... If I need a color for many pieces, I buy the color I need. I won't need to remember what 2 or 3 colors I mixed to paint the next batch of pieces. If it's a one-time color, I might mix it. mostly, I can then add accents/highlights/shading etc. takes note in a joural to remember what you used.

I have no brand that I use 100% of the time. most of my paints are a mixes brand, and what's on sale. I bought 3 paint bottles used for a stain glass paint for hobbying. they give me a slightly transparent look, great for water, and they were 19 cents each for 1 1/2 oz. that was a deal and they work great.

overall- I try to be quick, cheap, and creative.

I need to go to work. I think PP has some postings on the rest of the questions, especially dry brushing. he also has a use for standard baking flour that works great. It's also good to get more opinions and use what works for you. or a blend of techniques.

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:52 pm

FieldMarshall wrote:I have a lot of questions about painting minis, so I started this thread to discuss paint, brushes and techniques.

What is the rule of thumb for thinning paint?

Are there a difference in brushes?

Do you airbrush paint?

What is meant by Dry-brushing?
I'll provide a less helpful and generally less knowledgeable response in the hopes it'll have some value or at least be so bad it's amusing. :wink:

I use acrylic as well.

I use Games Workshop and Vallejo paints. Partially because they're what my FLGS has! I use the GW paints because I had some for Warhammer painting projects and at least some of them were useful for painting tanks and guns. Later I got a hold of a Flames of War doc that listed what colors you should use for different uniforms or tank colors. So then I bought some Vallejo paints to match those color schemes.

I've not tried to thin my paints. I don't think generally you'd need to thin acrylic paints for modelling.

I don't bother to try to mix paints because if I ever needed to use that color again I don't know if I could replicate it. Also, I'm lazy. I agree with dano, if it were a one time thing, maybe...

I don't know a lot about brushes other than size. I do have several different sizes of brushes. They have numbers on them so I can differentiate, otherwise I probably wouldn't be a able to tell the difference. Even though my eye doesn't see much difference, there is definitely a difference when I use them to paint. I think I have a size 2, 1, 0, 5/0, and 10/0. I can't remember exactly. Basically I went into a model store and bought a set of brushes that looked to be around the sizes I needed. Then some of those wore out, so I bought some more. Now I have a whole mish-mash of paint brushes.

Goodness no, air brushing sounds like a lot of work.

Drybrushing: I'll venture an answer. Drybrushing is used to catch raised bits on a model while not reaching lower spots. If you were painting chain mail, you'd paint the armor black first. Then dry brush your metallic color. The effect would be to catch the raised links in the armor, while keeping the little spaces between links black. In this case, you have ready made shadow areas without all the hard work of painting the shadows in individually.
Basically, you load your brush with paint. Then you use the edge of your paint bottle or palette or whatever you're using to scrape most of the paint off. Finally on the desired surface you paint ever so lightly so you get the raised spaces while missing the low places. The effect is pretty cool and not too hard do. It just takes practice and a steady hand.

:scuba:
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol:

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:15 am

I like the response Pletch gave...especially about mixing the colors and trying to replicate it 6 months down the road. i can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, much less remember the paint combo i used 6 months ago. The Vallejo paints are very nice. Since I do dirt, I use very cheap paint. As I get a bit more involved in vehicles etc. I would have to invest in some good paint. the FoW sets are great for one particular type of infantry etc. and you would want something like that. I would rather buy a set for british desert like that, then match my own colors. it's also more generally accepted in the modelling world to paint according to the manu. samples.

if you ever get into a business of painting and reselling, you would want to base your paint off of a historical paint pallet. however, I'm not sure about warhammer etc.

this is a very big subject. I'll catch you later and maybe someone else can throw their 2 'sense' into this.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:19 am

All good information. Thanks. I will likely try my hand at painting a few mundane minis sometime. There are no hobby stores left in my neck of the woods so I will have to wait until summer when I will do some traveling to pick up some paint and brushes.

@ Pletch: That document you have with the color guidelines sounds interesting.

Ober

[EDIT] I searched out my old paint brand and found it still alive and well with lots of good reviews. They have lots of matt colors good for painting tanks. It may be easier for me to pick-up the paint and brushes over the net. It runs about $2 a tin so it seems affordable.

Aside from 2-3 colors for the camo job, what other colors would be needed to paint a tank.? Black or rust color for the tracks and detail? Brown if you want to add some dust? I was just thinking 5-6 tins of the right colors might keep me going for a while.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:59 am

Aside from 2-3 colors for the camo job, what other colors would be needed to paint a tank.? Black or rust color for the tracks and detail? Brown if you want to add some dust? I was just thinking 5-6 tins of the right colors might keep me going for a while.

I always carry tan, black, white, red, blue, several greens, brown, several grays. If you stay to one country, that might be easier. also, look at the paint sets from FoW for ideas. a russian paint set will be different from a U.S. paint set. it just depends on what you like. ALSO!!! don't paint when you're angry, or sleepy.

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:00 am

or drunk. :party:

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:53 am

oh right...i forgot that one! thanks!

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:04 am

lol. :drinking:

I received the paint guide, Thanks. I am not sure why it could not be attached to the thread. We are suppose to be able to attach files. I will look into it today.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Dunno. It specifically said it wouldn't allow .pdf files. :maw: