Making FOW a hex based game

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Audacity

Making FOW a hex based game

Unread post by Audacity » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:19 pm

Could the FOW people ever be convinced to adopt a hex based game system for their rules?

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Re: Making FOW a hex based game

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:19 pm

That is an interesting question and I am by no means an FOW player but I think this would be a tough if not impossible task. You immediately see how crucial measurement is to the game, even just after reading through 40 pages of the 300 page rulebook (as far as I have made it thus far). Some stuff like general movement distance would be possible but there are a lot of times where movement can't be linear which could cripple maneuvering some units in those situations (using hex based system).

There are a lot of clever folks so maybe I am way off. Will be interested to see opinions of Pletch and other FOW players.
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 am

I think much of the appeal of the game is that you DON'T have hexes and play without maps but on "real" terrain.

So - I don't think we will see hex based FOW.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Those guys are pretty loyal to their game so it would be an up hill battle getting them to change. The lack of hexes was why we only dabbled at FoW and stuck to AAM.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:26 am

interesting idea about using hexes for FoW. maybe if the hexes were 1 inch. that would still represent the movement of a vehicle and infantry bases. the ranges could be counted out in hexes, and you wouldn't have to use a ruler all of the time. the terrain would have to be in the hex weather it covered 2 hexes or 20 hexes for a forest grid. I'm not sure whether you would count the vehicle as having to face a hex side or not. you would/might have to use a 10m map compared to a 100m map, or something closer to a 15mm scale.
just a thought.

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:20 pm

There's really too much variation in range and speed. Depending on your vehicle, you move 4", 8", 12", or 16". Sometimes though, you can move additional distance through special rules: 6", 14" and 18" for example. Ranges for direct fire go to at least 40" with many different increments in between. Then there's artillery which is 80" plus depending. Although it looks like you could go every two inches, there are odd numbered ranges as well. So you'd need 1" hexes. Not to mention 3d terrain, marking hexes on 3d terrain,...

Bottom line, it'd probably be a lot more trouble than it'd be worth.
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol: