General Discussion

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Re: General Discussion

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:28 am

Fired up WoT for the first time in 3 or more months. Initially just to get some xp to convert plus accrue some cash with my premiums for the next time one of my target tanks is on track. Then I got sidetracked on the new US light tank line. Free xp'd to the Walker Bulldog and took her out for a few spins. Not fully upgraded but I like how she handled but that is no surprise being the light tank fan that I am.

Wouldn't you know it, two hours later I found out the next on track tank is the Leopard 1, one of three tanks I was waiting on...sure wishing I hadn't blow that xp now :lol: Guess I will be playing the non upgraded Leopard PTA :cry: :lol:

Saw you had played a battle the other day so you must still be at it Ober. Still clubbing with that Jackson!?
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:13 pm

Mostly clubbing w/ the Wolverine lately, I went back to all my TDs to acquire a "star of excellence" and am now stuck working on the second stars. Been playing some half decent Centurion I games as I am grinding the 7/1, those tier 10 games can be rough. Picked up the VK 30.02 M out of bordem yesterday and absolutely love the tank even though noobmeter basically rates it in the bottom 3 for its tier.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:51 pm

Haha, good old Wolverine!

Forgot about stars of excellence, think I stopped playing right after that patch hit. Yeah tier 10 with the Cent is definitely rough, especially if you are hull down and at a distance!

Haven't played the 30.02M, always nice to be pleasantly surprised with any tank!
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:52 pm

Ace of Aces wrote:Haha, good old Wolverine!

Forgot about stars of excellence, think I stopped playing right after that patch hit. Yeah tier 10 with the Cent is definitely rough, especially if you are hull down and at a distance!

Haven't played the 30.02M, always nice to be pleasantly surprised with any tank!
I was terrible with the Wolverine the first time around, 46% WR I believe. Once I mastered the Jackson I decided to go back and try the Wolverine again and pleasently found her waayyy better than the Jackson with good pennetration and over the top dpm. Now both tanks run in the 52 - 54 % win range on both accounts.

It only took around 100 games for each TD to acquire the first US Star of excellence (Top 65%). I was very close to a second star on one Wolverine and One Jackson but as fate would have it a couple of crappy games brought them below 80% and I'm still working on them. I also revisited the T34/76 and quickly earned a red star of excelence on my way to the T34/85 which I bought but haven't upgraded yet.

Yea, the Centurion in tier X games is pretty much a scouting/flanking roll with many bounces and the odd pen. Tier 8 and 9 matches are rough but doable if you keep her hull down and never go toe-to-toe with your opponents. I ground her enough to research the 7/1 but the 3.5 million price tag is taking a while to save up, at 2.6 million now.

I am also planning on moving up the US medium lines starting with the T20 and the either branching to the Pershing or T69 line. Not sure which line I will go down but I'm thinking of trying the T69 autoloader, they seem to be quite popular.

Not sure if the 30.02 M is a good medium or not. I'm a medium driver at heart and seem to of figured out how to do well with them pretty consistanly across the board. The online concensious seems to be that it is a flanker/sniper with bouncy sloped front armor. I play it but following a group of heavies and providing sniping/flanking support. I have managed to survive a whopping 39% of my matches while driving her. Both the damage and destruction ratio's are over 1.0 so I must be doing something right.

I kind of stiffled my skills by playing the tier 5 -6 matches too long but reciently have gotten better and more comfortable playing the tier 7-8 games. As things progress I am thinking by late winter or spring I will be playing tier X mediums.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:33 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
I was terrible with the Wolverine the first time around, 46% WR I believe. Once I mastered the Jackson I decided to go back and try the Wolverine again and pleasently found her waayyy better than the Jackson with good pennetration and over the top dpm. Now both tanks run in the 52 - 54 % win range on both accounts.
The Wolvie was one of the first TDs I played at tier 5 or above and I definitely enjoyed it quite a bit.  My downfall with it was the usual lack of patience that plagued me for so long.  Too many times did I have that baby far closer to the front lines than I should have!  That turret rotation speed is not your friend when enemy light and medium tanks are close by :lol:
It only took around 100 games for each TD to acquire the first US Star of excellence (Top 65%). I was very close to a second star on one Wolverine and One Jackson but as fate would have it a couple of crappy games brought them below 80% and I'm still working on them. I also revisited the T34/76 and quickly earned a red star of excelence on my way to the T34/85 which I bought but haven't upgraded yet.
What did you think of the T34/76 and which gun did you use?  I was playing it while grinding the new Russian medium line a while back and hated that damn tank for the first part of my time with it.  Then I switched to the 57mm plus sat back a bit more and my results got better very quickly.
Yea, the Centurion in tier X games is pretty much a scouting/flanking roll with many bounces and the odd pen. Tier 8 and 9 matches are rough but doable if you keep her hull down and never go toe-to-toe with your opponents. I ground her enough to research the 7/1 but the 3.5 million price tag is taking a while to save up, at 2.6 million now.
With the top gun, I really liked the Centurion!  Sniping weakspots hull down from a distance at which the opponent could not land return volleys was a lot of fun!  7/1 is even better, once you get the top gun that is.  Keep grinding it out and get that FV4202 so you can get that free premium when they make the switch.
I am also planning on moving up the US medium lines starting with the T20 and the either branching to the Pershing or T69 line. Not sure which line I will go down but I'm thinking of trying the T69 autoloader, they seem to be quite popular.
Having played the US autoloaders from the get go I can confirm that the T69 is a lot of fun.  They've nerfed her since my time but it is still a great tank in a great line.  You will do a lot more scouting/sniping with the Pershing line and more flanker/support with T69.  I started the other US medium line but am stuck at the Easy 8 right now.  Will get back to it soon, I definitely want the Patton.
Not sure if the 30.02 M is a good medium or not. I'm a medium driver at heart and seem to of figured out how to do well with them pretty consistanly across the board. The online concensious seems to be that it is a flanker/sniper with bouncy sloped front armor. I play it but following a group of heavies and providing sniping/flanking support. I have managed to survive a whopping 39% of my matches while driving her. Both the damage and destruction ratio's are over 1.0 so I must be doing something right.
That makes sense; I could see that it would get a good number of bounces on that frontal armor when angled.  That is a great survival rate and damage ratio, especially for a new tank you just started playing!
I kind of stiffled my skills by playing the tier 5 -6 matches too long but reciently have gotten better and more comfortable playing the tier 7-8 games. As things progress I am thinking by late winter or spring I will be playing tier X mediums.
Excellent Ober!  You will enjoy the upper tier matches more and more as you keep playing them.  It certainly ups the excitement factor, sometimes they play like a game of chess with the winner of the game being the team that loses patience and makes the first wrong move.  I don't know that you stifled your skills, your WoT playstyle has simply adapted itself to tiers 5&6.  It's the same for me when I try to play tier 5 matches.  I don't adapt well at all and outside of a few tanks I generally play anything below a tier 6 tank VERY poorly.

Played a lot of my tier 6+ premium tanks as well as my two tier 10s and the Chaffee last night.  Managed to get up to about 49k in xp that has been converted.  Another 13k tonight and I can get the top gun for the Leopard PTA and start playing her.  Interestingly (according to the WoT phone app I use) you don't need the tracks for the PTA unless you upgrade the turret, which only provides +10m view range.  While nothing to ignore, view range is critical; it is definitely not more important than the gun and engine.  Will see how it plays with just the gun and engine but I would sure love to skip 47k in xp for turret and tracks.  There could be some better turret armor angling and stuff that doesn't show up on paper but a PTA in the open is usually a dead PTA anyway.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Actually the turret rotation isn't too bad on the Wolverine, Ive circle of deathed many a opponents with it during a late game feeding frenzie. The T34 success came after I read on the forums that the 57mm was the gun of choice. Sounds like the T69 will be my line then. :)
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:26 pm

16 degrees a second not too bad? If you say so :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe compared to a turretless TD :angel:

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:44 pm

:cool:
VK3002M Mastery.jpg
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:20 pm

Very nice Ober! That tanks suits you well :tiger:

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:23 pm

I think its more the mediums are my thing, I still just don't get gameplay with heavies.

Are you buying into the Fury thing? I decided to let this go as a quick fad that will only end up being a novilty in years to come like the rare appearence of the PzIV Hydra. Prefered tyhe E2 over the E8 anyways.
~Gen. G.S. Patton