Map in the works

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

carrion

Map in the works

Unread post by carrion » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:10 pm

Can you guess what this is, will give updates as it develops. It is a work in progress starting out with the basic design, now I'm adding the layout of roads and paths to see how it goes together. Will be adding vegetation, forests and cities.

Centurion

Re: Map in the works

Unread post by Centurion » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:27 pm

One of the D-Day beaches around Caen or Iwo Jima.
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:57 pm

East coast of Italy?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

carrion

Unread post by carrion » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 am

Well I guess it wasn't that hard to guess. It will be a map of Iwo Jima. The map will be 12 map sections, each map will be the standard 3" hex that are out now but each hex represents 200 meters instead of the standard 100. Still working out some of the kinks but progressing rather slowly...

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 am

If you increase the hex size, do you adjust the speed and range of the units attacks too?

carrion

Unread post by carrion » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:17 pm

RichtervonManthofen wrote:If you increase the hex size, do you adjust the speed and range of the units attacks too?
Haven't really worked out all the details yet. One reason I made it 200meters is that 100meters was going to be way to big. With 200meters people could if they wanted to could just basically cut the ranges in half if they choose to. Other then that the map is really just another map people could play on, when it gets done that is :-)

Bean965

Unread post by Bean965 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:18 pm

carrion wrote:
RichtervonManthofen wrote:If you increase the hex size, do you adjust the speed and range of the units attacks too?
Haven't really worked out all the details yet. One reason I made it 200meters is that 100meters was going to be way to big. With 200meters people could if they wanted to could just basically cut the ranges in half if they choose to. Other then that the map is really just another map people could play on, when it gets done that is :-)
Oh carrion, my friend, be careful - doubling hex size is squirmy can of worms! I speak from experience.

When I was writing my Battalion Commander rule set for battalion-sized AAM battles I experimented with a system like that in an effort to have larger battles, both geographically and in terms of the size of military groups engaging each other.

The problem that comes up is not range, it's speed. How do you deal with odd numbered speeds, especially infantry with a speed of one? It gets sticky. I tried using a system of marking units with counters - move in, mark with a "moving through counter" skip a turn, remove counter and move out. It "worked" but killed the AAM beer-and-pretzels flow.

I recommend just fudging it in the spirit of your "the map is another map people could play on" comment.

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:40 pm

Attachments
bi.jpg
bi.jpg (1.1 KiB) Viewed 3141 times
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:20 pm

Ive always been a fan of your maps and can't wait to see the finished project. I don't play pacific theater battles but I can appreciate a good map.

As you know I did a rather large Stalingrad map where one hex = 300m and it didn't cause any significant range problems or imbalances in gameplay. In fact the hex scale never entered into game play in any negative way. We just simply played it like any other map and had tons of fun boot.

Cheers
Ober
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

carrion

Unread post by carrion » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Here is a quick update of what I have working on slowly

and another

a little guide
-trees are well forest
-the greener bushes will be brush
-the darker will be considered clear and the paths will be more pronounced, later.
Also hexes on the second image are not set to scale yet, more of a this is how the hexes will look visually.

comments always welcome.
Seems much darker uploaded, but it is only an update so...