View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:15 am

Denis Courcy's Blog     Danaussie's WaS Forum     aarules Scenario Site     Joebunda's AAM resource site     SgtFury's Rules Q & A Site     AAM Database     Cornerstone Games     Forumini 

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Iwo Jima 

First up- A Special thanks to Rebel for posting this map on his site.

I took the document to Staples and had them blow it up to 2.5" hexes. They printed it on 11X17 which I cut out and taped it together and then took it back for lamination. It came out to be 3 pieces total but TOTALLY worth it. We have a very cool island map and we've already played like 3 games on it. We even added tunnels for the Japanese! Taking Mt. Suribachi is not easy either!

Anyway, here are a couple of pics from our first game so you can see the map.

I'll post some more when we play it again:

Next up is the Bastogne map (Also from Rebel) and I took the Swamp Map from Conflict of Heroes and blew it up to 2.5" hexes and it looks great!

I use the 11X17 to save costs. To make the maps this way is like $30 a map compared to a plotter printer all on one sheet which is like $70 a map. I love the plotter printer maps, but like my Baron maps, they are not cheap.

Snippersly

I aim to misbehave.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Having a great variety of maps is priceless! Every hobby has its costs.

It reminds me of Sgt Fury's great Bloody Tarawa map.

Enjoy the game

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:42 am

Yay! Someone is using my maps! :D :D :D Looks great, I haven't printed that one yet, but it does look like fun! (If you want a higher quality for making larger prints, just ask and i'll email it to your address in it's larger size)
Was the map fair? And how did the Suribachi rule work?

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:28 am
Founder
Founder

Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
Great looking set-up. The map looks good and thanks for the printing tips.

@Audacity - I was thinking of that map also. We printed it quite some time ago and played it until it faded so bad you could hardly make out the terrain anymore. It was well worth the printer ink. :)

"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:13 am
Profile WWW

We played with the rule that any gun on the mountain could shoot anywhere on the map and got a +1 to cover rolls. Units in the adjacent hills got the +1 to cover also, but no LOS advantage.

The Marines actually started on the beach with the only visible Japanese units being the three Ha-Go tanks, one per airfield. We gave the Marines the initiative the first turn which I think was wrong since they just sort of tripped about until they got fired on... next time we'll ammend this.

I printed a page size version of the map and drew lines on the terrain hexes creating 2 seperate tunnel systems. The Japanese could appear in any hex that a tunnel ran through and it would not provoke Def fire if adjacent to a Marine (unless my Custom Marine Devil Dogs was nearby). The Japanese could appear in an enemy hex, but that would provoke DF.

Once on the map we played that the Japanese unit had to stay on the map... which is another error I think we will correct next time. I think only Japanese units that get Disrupted should have to stay. If the unit appears, fires and survives unscathed they can retreat into the tunnels. Marines are not allowed to enter the tunnels.

I also used my Sherman Dozer in the scenario and was able to knock out some barbed wire and destroy two Japanese pill boxes. It was a cool unit to play with. In the end, the Marines had a stunning victory thanks to some really good rolls to hit and some really bad cover rolls on the enemy side.

Rebel- If you have any of your maps in a Hi-res let me know. I want to print more maps soon!! Even if this is a lo-res version, it still looks fine. The terrain is clear enough to tell what it is. Thanks again!

I aim to misbehave.

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:43 am

Sound great... that's what I had in mind when I made it... but being my second largest map, I haven't printed it yet! :D

All of my "Copy-Terrain" maps are made large enough so when you print them full size, the hexes are 2in... sadly, Photobucket and forums shrink the images down, so it's not as high-res as it should be when I post it here. So if you ever want to print another of my maps (or some other other maps from the Cartography Thread) then PM me and i'll send it to you "allgames" address! :D I think gmail keeps it the same size file.

You have reminded me that I haven't posted SrgF's Tarawa or Crete maps! I must do that soon... so busy though! :cry:

Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:50 am
Mod
Mod

That is a great looking map! Looks like fun was had...thanks for sharing!

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:10 am

Very nice looking map! It's a battle I've considered producing myself but you've done a great job already.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:14 pm
Founder
Founder

Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!
SgtFury wrote:
Very nice looking map! It's a battle I've considered producing myself but you've done a great job already.

We still get your island map out from time to time, its name escapes me right now. Its getting pretty ragged around the edges but still lots of fun to play on. Trying to get across the airfield with overwatch can be tricky.

"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:24 pm
Profile WWW

The map name was Betio. (The actual name of the island) It's commonly referred to as Tarawa. (The name of the battle and atoll)

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next