Maizecon 2014 Waterloo Iowa report and pictures

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Maizecon 2014 Waterloo Iowa report and pictures

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:09 am

:bowty:I'd like to start out saying WOW!!!!!!WE HAD A BLAST!!!!!!!!

Maizecon was huge success here in Waterloo over the weekend. It was a long, funfilled gaming weekend with many new friendships aquired. The weather was great. The food and drinks were great. the games were exceptional. Nobody could ask for anything more in the way of fun. We had Audacity, Firehouse, Thor911, Bigbake132, Dano,KennyJ, Carrion and myself from the forums there along with a few others from our group here in Waterloo. My wife acted as the "Quarter Master" all weekend helping keep everyone supplied with refreshments and keeping things in order for us.
I have alot of pictures to post. I'll start with Fridays events and get the other days posted tomorrow.

We started each day around 10:00am and finished after Midnight fighting some very fun scenarios. On Friday we played a D-Day scenario to start out the day and then moved to KennyJ's "Two Bridges" scenario in the afternoon. On Saturday we started out with Audacity's "Stalingrad" Scenario. In the afternoon some of the guys split off to do a Canadian Vs German beach landing scenario on Dano's 3" version of the original AAM Battle Zone "Beach Head" map while some played a WaS scenario. On Sunday we started out with Firehouse's early war Eastern Front scenario involving 8 players. The afternoon was a mix with some playing a 1945 "what if" North Africa Tank battle while others played some WaS and Angel's 20.

We started out on Friday with a D-Day scenario in honor of the 70th aniversary of the landings. Dano and Firehouse teamed up as the Allies to face Audacity and myself as the Axis. One of the members of our group Barthonis was the GM for this one.
Here's the group who played the D-day scenario. Left to right is Audacity, Dano, Barthonis the GM, Firehouse and, myself.
100_3220.JPG
The Axis team started setting up defences and placing their units while the Allied team started planning out which units they would put in each landing craft for the first wave. These units were written down on a slip of paper and not revealed to the Axis till they reached the beach.
100_3221.JPG
We tried out the Gliders that Dano supplied by having the Allies do a Glider landing prior to the first turn to represent the landings that took place in the night before the invasion. We don't have a card yet but the idea is that the gliders have to have 3 clear hexes in a row to land. each glider can carry 3 soldiers or, a soldier and 1 heavy weapon team. All the gliders landed with success and started raising havoc behind the German lines.
100_3229.JPG
The first wave of landing craft started to hit the beach under heavy German fire from the bluffs above.
100_3235.JPG
The Allies had some air cover to try to soften the German defences.
100_3236.JPG
The Germans started to clear some of the Glider Troops as the first DD Shermans hit the beach trying to provide support to the troops landing.
100_3237.JPG
The British landed a Churchill AVRE to try and clear some of the obstructions which were proving their worth against the landing craft.
100_3238.JPG
The Germans were having a rough time on their right flank with Glider Troops behind and U.S. Rangers working their way up the bluffs. Most of the German AT Guns and heavy weapons in this sector were either disrupted or destroyed. It wasn't long before the Allies were making their way on to the top of the bluffs and clearing away the defenders.
100_3239.JPG
Soon after the Germans recieved some armored reinforcements.
100_3241.JPG
The Churchill AVRE was doing it's assigned job removing obstructions allowing the Shermans to get access to the upper bluffs. At this point the Germans had their doubts about the outcome of this battle but, with the reinforcements taking up positions hope was renewed.
100_3248.JPG
The Germans managed to take out the Allied armor and hold three of four objectives. The Allied Infantry being to far away to make a differance allowed for a German victory at the end of turn 7.
100_3250.JPG
After the long day of fighting was over Audacity gathered all the players together and offered a toast to the men who fought that long day 70 years ago and gave their lives for Freedom. Thank you Audacity for making this game a special one to be remembered.

pfclt

Re: Maizecon 2014 Waterloo Iowa report and pictures

Unread post by pfclt » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:47 am

Excellent AAR loco. Nice ending too!!

looking forward to the next!!.............

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:09 am

:bowty: Here's the next set of pictures. This was Audacity's "Stalingrad" scenario. We had 6 players for this one. The game went 6 and 1/2 hours and ended in a tie. The Russian Generals included Todd Markin from the Waterloo group, Bigbake132 and, Carrion. The German Generals were Layne Damgaard from Waterloo, Thor911 and, KennyJ.
100_3266.JPG
100_3275.JPG
100_3277.JPG
100_3279.JPG
100_3285.JPG
100_3286.JPG

Audacity

Unread post by Audacity » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:54 pm

And well fought it was.

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:00 am

Audacity wrote:And well fought it was.
Have to say - everybody looks pretty focused - the game looks demanding - and to come down to a tie after 6.5 hours - good stuff -

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:50 pm

:bowty: I think I finally got all the pictures figured out so, here's the rest from the weekend.

This first set is from KennyJ's "Two Bridges" scenario.
100_3240.JPG
100_3251.JPG
100_3258.JPG
100_3263.JPG
More to follow later.

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:58 am

:bowty: One of the highlights to the weekend was having Panzerpainter stop in to visit with us. He brought a couple of his scratch built Maus tanks. Thor711 had the opportunity to purchase one which he used in the 1945 Desert scenario tank battle. It killed a Jeep.

Here's the group with Panzerpainter.

Front row left to right:
Carrion, Dano, Audacity and, Bigbake132

Back row left to right:
Loco, TradeMark, KennyJman, Panzerpainter, Layne, Thor711 and, Firehouse
100_3287.JPG
Panzerpainter making a few final touch ups on Thor711's Maus.
100_3312.JPG
100_3313.JPG
100_3314.JPG

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:27 pm

Great pics Loco. Thanks for posting for those who couldn't make it. It looks like you guys had a ton of fun and my of gotten some painting tips too. :D I wished I could of been there to join everyone but the moon and planets just didn't line up. I am defiantly interested in attending the next function if anything gets organized. The fall season is best for me, its the time of year its easiest to get time off from work and I have the finances to cover expenses. If its the fall season then the location doesn't matter, meaning it doesn't have to be in the east or Canada, it could be in Iowa again. Just throwing that out there.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:30 pm

fall would be the best time for me, maybe sometime in October? I would really need to convince my wife to let me go. we could tie it into an existing convention, or perhaps a local group could plan the event, and we show up as described. It would be a little easier if there was a major airport location, and not too close to the winter months.

thanks for all of the pixs Loco. My "boxes" did arrive yesterday, and I'll have some new ideas popping up soon for the next convention.

pfclt

Unread post by pfclt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:27 am

Never did thank Loco for these pics - just got caught up in checking them out - indeed as they have reported it - does appear they had a blast!

Anyway - Thanks Loco!