Expanded Rules

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Encore

Expanded Rules

Unread post by Encore » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:27 pm

Hi all,

I haven't seen or played with the Expanded Rules at all, and was toying with the idea of buying them. For those that own them, to what extent do you think the rules, scenarios, and maps enhance game play experience? Secondly, do the additional rules make the game considerably more difficult for new players? (I like to introduce people to the game, but if the rules would scare them away by over-complicating the game, I'd just as soon not buy the exp. rules)

Thanks for your input.

All the best,
Encore

Mr_Matilda

Re: Expanded Rules

Unread post by Mr_Matilda » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:12 pm

I am very new to the game and I got the expanded rules with the pieces I bought. It is not difficult to understand at all and it is easy not to use certain rules if you should find them difficult or confusing.

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:40 pm

They do not overcomplicate the game at all, in fact, some of the rules actually create interesting situations & realism IMO. Grazing Fire & Enfilade are 2 that come to mind quickly. The Aircraft Rules are also good, makes planes a bit more survivable from Ground Fire from Infantry/MG's.

Also, the maps are worth the price of purchase, no such thing as too many maps in this game. I have managed to acquire 2 sets of Expanded Rules & Maps & they see a good amount of use.

Der Engel
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Der Engel » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:51 am

Definitely worth the maps, but I didn't think that the rules added much to our group's game play. One of AAM's strengths, in my humble opinion, are fairly easy rules that allow you to introduce new players to the game quickly and easily.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:18 pm

I really like the new rules, I find they are much better. For someone starting out they could be a bit overwelming but thats your call. The maps are absolutely worth the cost of rules pack.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Audacity

Unread post by Audacity » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:24 pm

There really are only four new rules in it and we pick and choose which to use. Enfilade and grazing fire are great in 100-200 point games but get hard to manage if the game is too big. The aircraft rules are a must use in my opinion. The Lethal Defensive Fire rule is important should be used but even there it is a little confusing and we simplified it to say it is immediate with a face up disrupt or destroyed counter

Encore

Unread post by Encore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:36 am

Thank you all for your input. I went ahead and bought it - I figured the maps would be worth it, figured I'd see what the general reactions were. I agree with Der Engle that simplicity is an asset to AAM, which is one of the things that drew me to the game (for a while now, I have based my choices of games based upon what I know others will actually sit down and play). At the same time, I'm glad to hear that most seem to like the grazing fire and aircraft rules, which I'm interested to look into.

Encore

Unread post by Encore » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:22 am

Expanded rules just arrived yesterday, and I'm looking forward to trying out a few of the new mechanics. I see how enfilade and grazing fire can add an interesting dynamic. I'm also intrigued by the concept of formations. Thank you to all who provided insight!

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Fri May 30, 2014 6:57 pm

Encore wrote:Expanded rules just arrived yesterday, and I'm looking forward to trying out a few of the new mechanics. I see how enfilade and grazing fire can add an interesting dynamic. I'm also intrigued by the concept of formations. Thank you to all who provided insight!
Have you had a chance to put the Expanded Rules to play yet? Like Ober said, the maps alone are worth the purchase, I have to agree with that.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Fri May 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Encore wrote:Expanded rules just arrived yesterday, and I'm looking forward to trying out a few of the new mechanics. I see how enfilade and grazing fire can add an interesting dynamic. I'm also intrigued by the concept of formations. Thank you to all who provided insight!
Overwatch was the revised rule that our group really used as a game changer. It allows ATG guns to overwatch a hex line and recieve auto defensive fire when a vehicle crosses the hex line. Be sure to try it out too.
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton