Is AAM a game or a ruleset?

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Audacity

Re: Is AAM a game or a ruleset?

Unread post by Audacity » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:34 am

Every hobby has a cost. But buying models and traveling to meet friends is all worth it!

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Unread post by curtm1911 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 pm

I consider this a "Ruleset" & not so much a Complete Game. Since WotC has dropped making any further sets/minis/etc, using other sources is mandatory actually to add to our collections as well as trading for units we want/need/desire...... I know that I want more Infantry & Vehicles added to my Armies. Right now, I can field approximately about a Company Sized Infantry contingent for several of my Armies, Garands/Buffalo Soldiers (8 squads here)/Mosins/Guards (6 squads here)/SMLE's/Vet. SMLE's (7 squads here)/Mausers/Wehrmacht Vets/Arisakas/Fucile's/Blackshirts (6 squads here) & other units as Platoons more of less. By Combining units, I can build Battalions of Troops that are a mix of Unit Types & SA's & that makes things quite fun & interesting.

I personally like Balanced Builds/Infantry Heavy at times & like the "Combined Arms" aspect of a battle: Infantry/Armor/Artillery/Anti Tank Guns/Anti Aircraft Guns/Aircraft/Transport/Fighting Platforms......you can get the idea, use any & all type units when it can be done.

aarules

Unread post by aarules » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:24 pm

I think AAM is a ruleset.
dano903 wrote:we still have the core game which is good, but I think we've had to add the houserules, etc. to make it more interesting.
I agree with Dano. AAM is a good ruleset that can be used to create many different battles and scenarios, and that is one reason why it appeals to me. We can add new minis, change units, create scenarios, etc. I always enjoy creating new scenarios and adding new rules to keep it interesting. AAM is a flexible ruleset that we can continue to change.

Audacity

Unread post by Audacity » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:59 am

I plan to play AAM for years and years!

Panzer Commander

Unread post by Panzer Commander » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:46 pm

I am a little late to this conversation, but I've been thinking about this lately. Having played AAM for 6+ years now, and having invested hundreds of dollars in minis purchases, the AAM rule system is growing somewhat tired for me. Part of it is definitely the lack of new units and new rules, which makes the system static instead of dynamic. Part of it is how fiddly I've noticed the game is especially for new players and even for experienced players. After playing for years, I still find I have to refer to the rules in more than a few situations and the number of special rules from the unit cards (special abilities, etc.) can be overwhelming for casual players. (This is compounded by the tendency of many scenario writers to include a dozen different types of units per side in their scenarios.)

One thing I tried recently to spice things up was to convert Memoir 44 scenarios to AAM. I particulary like their Breakthrough scenarios which provide a refreshing break from the same old static AAM paper maps. While enjoying some success with this, I have found I am drawn more into playing the Memoir system on the Memoir maps because I have found that, even with its simpler and more abstract combat system, there is plenty of strategic depth inside that system and the games play MUCH faster. I recently played 3 separate Memoir games with a buddy of mine in the space of about 3 hours (more or less) - roughly the time it would have taken us to play ONE decent game of AAM. And the best part was, we had a great time. So instead of trying to think of ways to convert Memoir scenarios to AAM scenarios, I am thinking of ways to use my pretty AAM toys inside of the Memoir 44 system.

So I guess I come down on the side that AAM is a ruleset and one that, in my estimation, will probably fade away over time as other newer systems come along. That said, I think the AAM minis are some of the best looking minis out there for the cost that are capable of being used with other rule sets. You can see this readily on Boardgame Geek where many photos of other war games feature pictures of games being played in other rule systems (TOI, M44, etc.) using AAM minis!

Audacity

Unread post by Audacity » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:27 pm

While I still play AAM (AND LOVE IT) I am playing Bolt Action too. I have a 28mm army for that and with one player I use 15mm AAM units

aarules

Unread post by aarules » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:18 am

Panzer Commander wrote: One thing I tried recently to spice things up was to convert Memoir 44 scenarios to AAM. I particulary like their Breakthrough scenarios which provide a refreshing break from the same old static AAM paper maps. While enjoying some success with this, I have found I am drawn more into playing the Memoir system on the Memoir maps because I have found that, even with its simpler and more abstract combat system, there is plenty of strategic depth inside that system and the games play MUCH faster. I recently played 3 separate Memoir games with a buddy of mine in the space of about 3 hours (more or less) - roughly the time it would have taken us to play ONE decent game of AAM. And the best part was, we had a great time. So instead of trying to think of ways to convert Memoir scenarios to AAM scenarios, I am thinking of ways to use my pretty AAM toys inside of the Memoir 44 system.
Memoir 44 is a great system, too. While I like AAM better, I play Memoir 44 a lot. It is simple, but it comes with a lot of scenarios and the ability to change the map, which I like since we can create a new map for each scenario. I think both are great rulesets that can be adapted, changed, and built upon.