Is AAM a game or a ruleset?

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Is AAM a game or a ruleset?

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:06 pm

How do you see Axis and Allies Miniatures, do you see it as a self contained game or a ruleset that can be played on it own.

When I say self contained game, that is to me a game in its entirety which supplies maps rules cards and miniatures. Anything outside the official status is taboo and must be approached through the official game. So in other works, no house rules or very few and no new miniatures. This could bring forward the mindset that when WotC stops making boosters the game is dead.

The game as a ruleset to me means the sky is the limit as far as adding new pieces and houserules. Also that means the game can be played at any scale, from 1:285 - 28mm and on any sized hex. It can also be played in 3d with Dano style hexes. This may give the player the idea that the game will live on as a ruleset rather than a formal supported game.

I don't think its any secret that I believe the game is a ruleset and a very good and flexible one at that. The addition of 3d terrain and new miniatures as important attributes is great but its the rules that make it such a fun game. Games like "Command Decision" and others are marketed as rulesets to be matched with whatever miniatures you wish. I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that our game doesn't continue officially anymore but I will be darned if I am going to give-up playing.

So should we start thinking of AAM as a ruleset or continue thinking of it as WotC's game?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Re: Is AAM a game or a ruleset?

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:38 pm

we still have the core game which is good, but I think we've had to add the houserules, etc. to make it more interesting. Had WotC continued, who knows what they would have done with it. The unique part to the game are the SA's for most of the pieces. that's where I have a hard time thinking about using it on a 1/285 scale setting. Without the SA's, it can be considered a few different games sets that are out on the market. I know FoW has some SA's, but it's not really meant for each piece. I kind of like the hex game boards, and the 3D pieces are PURE entertainment to me.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:17 pm

dano903 wrote: that's where I have a hard time thinking about using it on a 1/285 scale setting. Without the SA's, it can be considered a few different games sets that are out on the market.
I don't see the difference between 1/285 on 1" - 1.5" hex maps as opposed to 1/100 figures played on 3" hexes. Everyone seems wrapped up on scale and honestly I don't know why its all relevant and proportionate. Am I missing something?
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:35 pm

the scale isn't the problem..it's how to ID the soldiers with the SA's. Unless you use the AAM soldiers with the 1/285 scale tanks. I think the 1/295 scale tanks look great on the AAM maps.

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:00 pm

dano903 wrote:the scale isn't the problem..it's how to ID the soldiers with the SA's. Unless you use the AAM soldiers with the 1/285 scale tanks. I think the 1/295 scale tanks look great on the AAM maps.
I see what your saying now and yes the mixed units would look disproportionate. However for a tank battle with AAM rules and reduced hex size the AAM ruleset would work quite well. The point I was trying to make was that we are not stuck with 15mm as an absolute play size rather we can modify AAM's flexable ruleset to make it playable.
~Gen. G.S. Patton

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:11 pm

FieldMarshall Ober wrote:
dano903 wrote:the scale isn't the problem..it's how to ID the soldiers with the SA's. Unless you use the AAM soldiers with the 1/285 scale tanks. I think the 1/295 scale tanks look great on the AAM maps.
I see what your saying now and yes the mixed units would look disproportionate. However for a tank battle with AAM rules and reduced hex size the AAM ruleset would work quite well. The point I was trying to make was that we are not stuck with 15mm as an absolute play size rather we can modify AAM's flexable ruleset to make it playable.

@ Ober... are you part Iowaian? do you know what a different scale would mean to the guys that do terrain work?!?!??? there are not enough hours to do the things I need to do this MONTH!!!! however, you are correct... I would welcome a smaller scale. maybe the 1/285 scale on a 2" map???

:)

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:48 am

I think most collectible miniature games are just a ruleset. They can be expanded upon by either the company that is producing them, or by the fans that play it and understand the delicate balances and nuances of the game. A game like the Axis and Allies Strategy Game is more of a self contained game.

Actually just about all tactical games are a ruleset, that can be applied to most every other component of another tactical system, usually a miniature.
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

Audacity

Unread post by Audacity » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Following the discussion, I can see this as a rules set. I've been dabbling in Bolt Action 28mm and I'd like to adapt those pieces to our AAM hex based play. Similarly, I'd like to use AAM units for Bolt Action hexless play to save on getting a new army

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:05 am

Definitely "only" a ruleset - I expand from there - started to dabble into mini painting and now I am the proud owner of
PsoC: STuH-42, Panther G (unfinished)
Zvedza: Sd 222, German Flamer, Russian Flamer, Katyusha

I own a few 3-D pieces (I know I owe you some pics, but they remain unplayed because of so much other games to play ;))

I also use AAM/WAS as base for a little campaign (on hold/in development ;))

Honestly currently I get so much out of AAM/WAS - even when I don't play - it sparked so much fun...

dano903
The King
The King

Unread post by dano903 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:13 am

Audacity wrote:Following the discussion, I can see this as a rules set. I've been dabbling in Bolt Action 28mm and I'd like to adapt those pieces to our AAM hex based play. Similarly, I'd like to use AAM units for Bolt Action hexless play to save on getting a new army

I'd like to see some of that action! sounds fun!(but expensive!) :)