A Kind of Campaign Type Play

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

A Kind of Campaign Type Play

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:29 am

I have been toying around with this concept for awhile, almost since discovering this game.

It is a sort of Build From the Ground Up idea. Instead of just building with anything & everything, you stSquadsom the Very Basic Soldiers. I use the stats for the USA "Untested Recruit". Leaders are a +2 initiative, cost 6-8 points. No SS Hauptsturmfurher until you achieve that Level. I play tested this system over the Holidays, I finally had enough US Untested Recruits to use, had to proxy for the German Untested Recruits, used some Huzigols, 3 Volksturm & a Fortress Defender to get 10 Squads for the Germans. German Commanders were the Romanian Vigilant Lt. & the Finnish Officer. The Ober Lt. Becomes available later.

Support Weapons were MGs &/ or 75MM Howitzers or Light Mortars. 25 points allotted for these more or less.

Germans used the Finnish Officer & the Romanian Vig. Lt., MG34/Romanian Mortar/G18 howitzer.

The USA used the RDC & the Marine Sergeant, M8 Pack Howitzer &/or M2 Light Mortar.

Take 10 Squads, a Commander & selected Support Weapons & play a 5 or 6 turn game...do this 3 times. You can change Commanders each time if you want, same with Support Weapons, within the allowed types. Use one MG & one Mortar or Howitzer when doing 10 Squad battles, if they survive they are retained for future use.

I used Map Able One & Charlie One. To speed things up, it did take some time to get into the higher Levels of Troop Skills, I mainly used Able One.

After playing the 3 games, take all surviving Infantry units, total up points, disrupted are half value, Commanders are point value plus Intiative Bonus. This is halved if disrupted, save fractions for now.

Scroll down for more information on this idea a couple posts.

A couple notes here on the playtesting.........it was something......took a good amount of time & some thumb on the scales to speed things up a bit but I did do it honestly.......lots of dice rolling, moving the pieces on the map, resolving the movements/defensive fires/combats.......I tried using both maps but ended up using just the Able 1, it was night....had to be adjacent to have LOS, again, to speed up things some, Support Weapons would get wiped out when it was daylight, in the night play, they got to fire once at the mass of troops & once at the other Support Weapons.....this was to keep them around awhile, otherwise they were targeted & destroyed ASAP. The commanders can be with the troops or the Support Weapons as per your choice. The Marine Sgt. was in the fray....the RDC was with the Sprt. Wpns......for the Germans, the Vig. Lt. & the Finnish Officer were with the Weapons, the Germans took the G18 more often than a Light Mortar, the Vig. Lt. helped there as did the Finnish Officer with his SA "Terrain Expert". I chose there as German Commanders for these particular SA's, they have paid dividends in the later games with these forces.

Soooo, if anybody would like to know more or even give this a try, I found it fun 7 a different way to play AAM, you do have to manage the Army & not just kill them all to achieve the Victory, you have to be able to continue to have an Army... I was kind of thinking along a League Type Competition for this when I came up with the whole crazy idea.

I tinkered with different combinations of Level 0 & Level 1 troops also. From the initial battle, I tried a total of from 22 to 25 total survivors. With the 22, you would have 2 Level 1 troops & 8 Raws per Company roughly......it would take a long time to get to really advance enough to build quickly. I found 25 to be almost optimum for this system to work fairly smoothly.

You have an Army of 30 Squads, roughly 3 Companies of Infantry. I believe this is a Battlion Size. You can field up to all of this army, but I would like to keep it at 15 Squads per battle. 5 Raws, yes, they are in the game each time, 5 Level 1 troops & 5 Level 2 troops. Vehicles become available once you have filled the 5 Squad requirement of Level 1 troops, enough to transport 1/2 of your Infantry, I chose halftracks for my Ger/US forces & tossed in an Armored Car for each side.........ran them as a sort of recon group.....did Attack/Defend Battles for the next few games as I advanced my pieces to the upper levels of skills. You play these Attack/Defend games twice, once as each the Attacker & the Defender.

Enough for now, let me know any thoughts, good/bad/indifferent.......:D.......Thanks to any who read this.
Attachments
Painting Pics 073.jpg
Painting Pics 084.jpg
Painting Pics 075.jpg
Last edited by curtm1911 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

curtm1911
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona Where Winters are like Summer & Summer is 3 Digits Hot & 4 Letter Words

Re: A Kind of Campaign Type Play

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:32 am

I am on an Android device at the moment, will finish this tomorrow on PC unit.....to be continued.....

RichtervonManthofen

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:47 am

The idea is ? use raw recruits and with experience they get better? A sort of experience level game ?

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:27 pm

RichtervonManthofen wrote:The idea is ? use raw recruits and with experience they get better? A sort of experience level game ?
That's sort of the general idea, the more experienced troops become, the more options of Advancement. A Base Army under this concept is roughly 5 Squads of Raw Recruits, 5 Level 1 Squads & 5 Level 2 Squads.

In my play testing, for the USA, my Base Army is 5 Untested Recruits, 5 M1 Garlands & 5 Buffalo Soldiers. Buffs with their SA "Steely Resolve" have a bit better staying power in a battle to help them advance to Level 3 Troops.

The German Base Army is 5 Recruits, 5 Mauser & 5 DAK. again, the "Steely Resolve" Sa is my reasoning here.

Now, here is where thigns get interesting...you build your Basic Army, the 5 Squads of each type. You are still doing battles all this time also...making the Advancements of Troops. Once built, you can begin to Advance into other skills in Level 2 & where available to, Level 3.

One quick note here, I have only playtested the USA/Germany but have sort of worked out this system for UK & USSR, got a few tweaks to do on these countires, USSR is not a lot of Infantry Options & UK some Leader Options & Infantry ones also. I'll post what I have for them also.

After Each Battle, you do Advancement/Replacement. This is done from the survivors of the last battle. Until you have reached Level 3 Troops, you do your Replacement of losses & Advancement from the Survivors.

Level 2 Troops:

USA:
Buffalo Soldiers
BAR
Thompson Gunner
Bazooka
Marine Rifleman

UK:
BEF
Sten Gunner
Ghurka
BREN Gunner
PIAT

USSR:
Guards Infantry
Soviet/Polish Infantry
PPSH SMG
Degtyarev DP-27
PTRD-41

Germany:
DAK Infantry
Panzerfaust/Panzerschreck
Panzergrenadier
Recon BMW R-75

Once you have your 5 Squads of your Basic Army, then you can advance to Level 3. An example of the German Basic Army would be 5 Raws, 5 Mausers, 5 DAK infantry. Also, once you have your Basic Army created, you can also Advance Level 1 Troops into the other types of Level 2 & Level 2 Troops can begin to Advance into Level 3.

Level 3:

USA:
Hero
Ranger
Paratroopers
Engineer
Flamethrower
Sniper
Spotter

UK:
Hero
Paratrooper
Veteran SMLE
Flamethrower
Sniper
Spotter

USSR:
Hero
Siberian Shock Trooper
Engineer
Sniper
Spotter
Cavalry

Germany:
Hero
SSPG/SSST
Fallschirmjaeger
Wehrmacht Veteran Infantry
Spotter
Flamethrower
Engineer
Sniper

Ok, so that is kind of the basic premise of this idea.....if anyone has interest in this, I will post all that I have worked out so far.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Update:
I have continued play testing this system to where the Armies I have been using have achieved enough experience to have access to all available Troop type of Infantry....lotsa solitaire games but kind of fun with Custom paint jobs...woohoo....

So with that done, I can use up to 15 Squads, up to 5 of any type 5 of which Must be Basic Recruits.

Reaching this point,, you have replaced as well as purchased a Lot of Stuff as well. You even have Aircraft available.

Play Attack/Defend twice, each side playing attacker/defender once each.

You can use up to 3 Tanks & half of your infantry has transport. All countries can have Mechanized Tactics for uap to 5 Level 2 and/or Level 3 in any combination up to total number of Fighting Platforms available, up to 5 total.

I know what I am going to try for each side, what would other people build?

You can use 3 Support Weapons per 5 Squads. You have access to all your country has & any allied Major or Minor has, Except their Infantry, you have Acquired what you want by this time from having played this far & kept track of points gained/lost/

replenished/replaced/bought......

You are not building by points, you are building to Git 'er done.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:51 pm

You get 3 Commanders per every 5 Squads. These come from your accumulated pool of Commanders from previous games/battles to this point.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Now I have to find my final inventory notes from last game & what each army has in stock at the moment & available.

I'll try to post them if I can find them....lol

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:43 am

The Americans:

SE Capt x1
RDC x 2
Marine Sgt.x 2
EENCO x1
5x Recruits
5x M1
5x Buffalo Soldiers
3x M1919 MG
2x M2 Mortar
2x M8 Pack Howitzer
1x Greyhound A/C
4x M5 Half tracks
1x CCKW Truck
1 Jeep
1 CCKW Truck
3x Entrenched ATG
2x 37MM ATG

This is my Base Army. Same with the Germans, moor or less the basic TO&E start to go for for all the rest f unit types...sounds confusing, it ain't really in play testing.

Acquired:
2x Staghound A/C
1x 82MM Mortar
2x M3A1 Scout Car
3x M3 Stuart
3x M4A1 Sherman
3x M-24 Chaffee
2x M4A3 105 Sherman
3x M4A3E8 Easy Eight Sherman
2x Ram Kangaroo
2x Quad .50
1x BOFORS

Germans:
1x Hammy
1x Over Lt.
Aaa
Last edited by curtm1911 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:45 am

Tablet ran out of screen

curtm1911

Unread post by curtm1911 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:01 am

Germans:
1x Hammy
1x Over Lt.
2x Romanian Vig. Lt.
2x Finnish Officer
5x Recruits
5x Mauser
5x DAK Infantry
3x MG- 34
2x Romanian Mortar
2x LeL G- 18 7.5 CM Howitzer
4x SdKfz 251
1x Panzerspahwagen P-204
1x Opel Truck
1x Kubel...don't even think about it Gunther...
1x Opel Truck
1x Kubel
3x PAK 38
2x PAK 36
2x SdKfz 234/2 Puma A/C
1x 81MM Mortar
2x MG-42
3x Pnzr III F
3x Pnzr III L Veteran
3x Pnzr IV E
2x StuG III D
3x Pnzr IV F2