Almost interested...

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Sean-Khan

Almost interested...

Unread post by Sean-Khan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:58 pm

I haven't bought AAM for a little while, but I got curious about this game. After all, I've been fan of ww2 aircraft as a kid and collected already a nice amount of land-AAM aircraft. You can perhaps guess why my interest dropped suddenly when reading more about the game...

I remember seeing somewhere before that land-AAM could be used with this game. Well, surely they could, but I think I misunderstood what was said - next to these aircraft they wouldn't be much better than tokens or proxies. And I'd hate to have to buy all aircraft as new and forget my current collection. On the other hand, I'd have to find myself hurricanes of similar scale (there isn't AAM hurricane, right? I haven't followed recently) and perhaps also some other aircraft. I'd at least like to try the game before buying, I guess there's enough info out for that. I might also be interested in buying maps/cards/rulebook if someone has bought extra starters to get more aircraft.

Has anyone else started to play this game with original AAM aircraft?

Rebel

Re: Almost interested...

Unread post by Rebel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:01 am

I think a few people on the Forumini are:
http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about32461.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/about32282.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks interesting at least. Audacity had the idea of combining AAM and AAAF into one game... so each movement and assault phase the planes would move like 10 spaces. If you make an idea to combine them pleas post it, it would be fun to test out! :D
A&A Underground- Minis, Maps, Models and More!
If you want a custom map, please PM me.

Sean-Khan

Unread post by Sean-Khan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks for your reply Rebel! I'll check out the links!

But, I'll have to say that after seeing more photos and videos of the game I'm starting to get more and more tempted... Especially as some starter fighters seem to be very cheap as singles which can help to get some variety for cheap (and I like to have multiples of various planes). I do have way too many games and miniatures and should save some money, but still...

Speaking of variety, having fights of just a few planes seems to make it difficult to create your force with any variety. I saw some advantageous setups, do these really give vp's or are they used to allow flights with less points? Are there any other ways to add variety to the flights (except scenarios)?

Rebel

Unread post by Rebel » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:44 pm

In my playing, just using nation specific builds really add spice to the game... for instance a good Eastern Front game of 120 points can be fun. The setups are optional, but provide a fun mixup as well, since they give one side VP's and the other side the good setup. There are also a ton of optional rules for clouds/flak/search-lights/night rules/ barrage ballons that could add to the game. And I'm working on some "3D" maps that would be fun to play one since you would have to climb over hills and into valleys. It's a really fun game, but if you're trying to slow your spending, then don't get in, since it will suck you into the trap again! :D

If you have lots of AAM planes, you could just get the cards and rulebook and play them that way on the old AAM maps... using dice to show Altitude and stuff... might be an idea! :wink:

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Go for it Sean! Its lots of fun and the minis are real cool. Even with just the starter planes its very playable and fun. Later if you want to upgrade there should be lots of trades available.

Ober

PS - We have a A20 starter set as a prize in the Army Builds contest and you might want to enter for a chance to win a starter. :D
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Sean-Khan

Unread post by Sean-Khan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:13 pm

LOL, I've got my little angel and devil on my shoulders :D But I'm quite reasonable collector, so I might get in the game with too big fear of getting hooked. Starter isn't that expensive at amazon, and I don't have that much aircraft - I guess I have twice as much planes as I have other AAM rares, but I have very few (or had before my friends merged their little collection with mine). The collection is too modest to play alone (I realized I have just tempest & spitfire as English planes, although several more german ones), but with the starter I would have been very happy about them if they were the same scale.

I've bought a full case of miniatures only twice, and they were a bit cheaper huge miniature sets. I could end up spending up to $200 to this game when new sets come out, but no more. But I haven't decided yet, I'm still considering :)

Btw Ober what competition is that you mentioned? Didn't see it. Haven't been in the game much lately so I very much doubt I'll win anything :)

Sean-Khan

Unread post by Sean-Khan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Btw, those optional rules sound great! And it would be a magnificent opportunity for a 3d map, barrage ballons would also make excellent models! But I might pass 3d modelling with this one, I'd like to have one easily moved game! I haven't done any terrain for WaS either but I've got too many units packed in a way they'll be in chaos after being carried!

Rebel

Unread post by Rebel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:25 am

Yeah, I think this game has quite a bit of houserule/optional rule potential! :D

FieldMarshall Ober
Founder
Founder
Location: OK, Its late july and summer is over in Canada....it was 3 days this year!

Unread post by FieldMarshall Ober » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:56 am

Here's the contest Sean.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %*$# through a goose."
~Gen. G.S. Patton

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:42 am

I think the best potential for crossover between games is from A20 to AAM rather than reversed. All of the A20 planes have AAM stats assigned (there's a list in the rulebook). However the reverse is not true. It's not as though those AAM planes (Corsair, MiG-1, Ki-43 "Oscar", to name a few...) couldn't be houseruled into A20, it would just require some work.
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol: