Set #2 Discussion

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

RichtervonManthofen

Re: Set #2 Discussion

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:03 am

It was on amazon.de - release date is Feb. 19th 2013 according to them.

Looks like the starter has a P-47, P-51 and a Hellcat? - not suer about the Japanese planes...

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Looks like a P-38 is definitely in the mix.

The other US aircraft are harder to identify: a Hellcat is a good guess on the Navy aircraft, while the other makes me think P-40...

The JP aircraft appear to be, top to bottom: an A6M(?) "Zero", Ki-61 "Tony", and Ki-43 "Oscar"

If that's the case, I think we're only seeing two new aircraft in this starter and the other four are reprints.

Based on the information at hand my guesses in the starter you'll get:

US - P-38 Lightning (new), P-40 Warhawk, and F4F Wildcat
JP - A6M "Zero", Ki-61 "Tony", and Ki-43 "Oscar" (new)

While the reprints are disappointing in one way, A20 has an interesting system involving pilot quality. Hopefully the reprints will all represent pilots of differing quality from those in the first set.
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol:

Entek

Unread post by Entek » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:52 pm

It really looks like it's a F6F Hellcat. I say this because it appears to have a low wing with a camber to it, whereas the Wildcat has a mid straight wing.

The other American plane, that's not a P-38, is either a P-51C, or B, or a P-40. It's hard to tell on the earlier P-51's since they were sort of developed from a P-40.

I am not that great at ID'ing Japanese AC's. I will agree that what you have listed looks right!
Thank you Rebel!

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:38 am

I agree it could easily be a Hellcat. It's hard to make out much more than the "squared-off" wing-tips which either sported. The other single engine US plane's most distinctive feature are the "rounded" wing-tips. It could be any one of many US aircraft. I just decided to operate under the assumption that WOTC are cheap bastards and would put reprints in a new starter. :lol: Both the Wildcat and P-40 would fit.

As for the twin engine US aircraft, the P-38 with its twintail/twin engine is pretty distinctive. Perhaps you're thinking of something else?

Entek

Unread post by Entek » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:32 pm

That is a P-38, that was just bad grammar on my part. What I had meant was the American plane that isn't the P-38. I've been following the discussion about it on the Forumini, and I think the plant that isn't a P-38 or a Hellcat/Wildcat is probably a P-39. Which would also fit and would give the Soviets a new plane.
Thank you Rebel!

Pletch

Unread post by Pletch » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:03 am

A P-39 would be welcome. This kind of speculation is all in good fun. It reminds me of the days of trying to determine WAS set lists from a fuzzy picture of the box! At least in this case we get pictures! :D