Difficult Maneuvers

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Rebel

Difficult Maneuvers

Unread post by Rebel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:13 am

At the moment there are 7 DM's in the game (not Dungeon Masters... Difficult Maneuvers).
There's Barrel, Break, and Split-S, all of which use Roll numbers.
There's Tight Turn and Scissors, which use Turn numbers.
Then there's the Dive and Climb DM's... which see pretty straight forward.

To me, the best DM's are Climb and Split-S followed by Tight Turn and Break. Climbing will almost always give you a decent advantage, and Split S allows you to turn 120 or 180 degrees... Tight turn is nice since you don't lose Alt and if you fail, you still turn a bit! :D

DM's are of course VERY important in the game... even if the enemy is on your 6, you can quickly change that with a maneuverable craft and a bit of luck! And IMHO, they are pretty realistic since they do the same thing they do in Real life... though Diving should be easier. (Though it is hard to stop the Dive, and to keep from redding out!) :D

Snips was talking about adding the Immelmann, which is a Split S going up... which would be very good, but very hard! (You start blacking out AND spinning out if you aren't good at it, since it combines climbing and rolling)
I was considering adding steep climb and dive, which let you climb 2 up or drop 3 down, but takes 13 at normal speed and 16 at high speed! It is a real tactic, and would be useful to get a bad climber off your tail.

Really, arial maneuvers (or manoeuvers, if you're a brit) are very interesting, and if you have the time, read up on it, or watch some of them. (Just reading the Basic Fighter Maneuvers on wiki was really helpful!

Anyway, just thought I'd bring these up... as I found it interesting how the moves correspond to real life, and are often used! (I'm gonna continue some of these posts about various Arial moves/tactics/planes and how they work in this game)
Thanks for reading! :D
A&A Underground- Minis, Maps, Models and More!
If you want a custom map, please PM me.

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Re: Difficult Maneuvers

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:07 am

Great read and agree. Altitude is key, that attack bonus for using the Dive status helps that close range attack. Split Ss aren't that useful for maneuvering if you won't finish in position within 1 level of the target.

What was the scenario and/or aircraft involved in your play?

A dive 3 or climb 2 would really change things, hovering above waiting to strike! I know some of the fighters have fast dive but that doesn't drop you in altitude, only moves you ahead x spaces. Maybe future expansion???
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

Rebel

Unread post by Rebel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:07 am

Really, getting your ace higher in Alt is also helpful as protection, as it forces the enemies planes to climb to prevent getting dived on, allowing your weaker planes a bit of safety. Split S in only nice once you have Altitude on your enemy. Climbing over your enemy and dropping down on his 6 using the S is a fun maneuver! :D

I've only played twice. (On my 3rd now) The first was Germany vs UK @ 75 points. I didn't take an Ace, instead taking the wingman and Fw Wurger. My enemy took the Spit Ace and a Hurricane. I made a few mistakes the first turn and the Ace got on my Wurgers tail. But his shot somehow missed! I hit his Hurricane though... I love Fw190's guns! The second turn, my wingman who had been flanking came around and covered the arc of where his planes were aiming. Sadly I put him on Climb, and the enemy just dropped and came in level. My Wurger got onto the Cane's tail, and the slower spit couldn't make it onto mine. My Wurger Crippled his Cane, but it somehow still damaged my Bf109! The Spitfire then damaged my Fw190 once.
I somehow won Init the next turn since I was tailing, and his crippled Cane turned right past my Climbing wingman and start evasive actions. Still, after a good climb by the Bf109, I got on it's tail at range 3... diving... with the Spitfire behind me facing the wrong way to attack! :D The stupid Spit Ace still managed a Split S, and pulled up under my Bf, on it's 8 o'clock. My Wurger used it's Break, then used the Split S, and came up under the Ace's tail! The Ace fired at the Bf109, and crippled it, then the Bf fired at the HurriCane... it missed...
Then the Babe Wurger stepped up to the plate! 12 out of 9 hits! What's left of the Spitfire falls to the ground below. And the game was over.

The Next game was Allies Vs Germans 200 points:
Wurger
Channel Front
Gustav Ace
Erich Ace
vs
Mustang Ace
Spit Ace
Guards Yak
x2 USMC Wildcats

I somehow lost Init with +3 to his +0... and his taking down my Spit Ace in one shot and damaging the Yak didn't help... since all my shots missed! :D The next turn he finished a Cat and damaged the Mustang. I finally won Init, but poor setup, and the fach that his crippled Ace somehow Vitaled my Yak (that was diving the damaged Wurger from 12 o'clock). The next turn I lost Init, and took evasive actions, still his planes all attacked my Cat, and there wasn't anything left of it with two Fw's and a boosted Gustav. Very fun game... but 200 is a lot of points!

I've also studied the rules and found all the loopholes I can, as well as checked points on the best team ups... there are some very good teams that are just made for each other! :D
All in all, I've found that Guns and armer is almost as effective as Pilot Skill a and maneuvers. Also Diving is VERY important. The wingman is not a good sacrifice piece. (You know, the piece you move first to let your Ace go last) It should go second and cover you sacrifice piece, and then your Ace should cover him. Lastly, don't underestimate a longshot. Getting in close is always nice, but a range 3 2 dice attack could roll two 6's! :D

(Also, real life maneuvers or tactics/teams work often, but not in all regards)
Again, it's a great game! :D
A&A Underground- Minis, Maps, Models and More!
If you want a custom map, please PM me.

Encore

Unread post by Encore » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:09 pm

I had thought of adding new DMs as house rules, too. I figured that an Immelmann, for example, might need to pass a high-speed climb check then a roll check
-if both succeed, go forward one, up one altitude, and reverse direction
-maybe if the climb fails, move forward, up one altitude, end in climb position, end move (as if going into a stall)
-if climb succeeds but roll fails, then go forward one, up one altitude, reverse direction, but end up in a either climb or banked position

Anyone have further thoughts?