Bandits High Review

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Pletch

Bandits High Review

Unread post by Pletch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Finally we have what could very likely be the last Axis & Allies Miniatures set ever. If this is the last A20 set, I can go happy knowing a lot of my wants have been included. In addition the AAM crowd wanting all of their aircraft "upgraded" can be happy knowing only 6: Do335, Me262, N1K-J, Meteor, IL-10 and MiG-1, did not get the "upgrade" treatment. Considering the IL-2 has the same AAM stats as the IL-10 and the Yak-1 is a suitable replacement for the MiG-1, you could drop that to 4. Also jets may not have ever worked well with the A20 system, so that leaves the Do335 and N1K-J which of those two only the N1K-J will be truly missed by myself. The Do335 is cool, but was a rather rare aircraft only available for the very end of the war.

When I looked at the initial set list a couple days ago two big things jumped out at me IL-2 and Ju-87. There had been hints these were coming but they were welcome on the list. Secondly, as they should in a Pacific themed set, the US and Japan made out big. Surprisingly, the UK did not. You could take into account the Australian, Polish and Canadian aircraft, (all UK used designs) and then the British make a decent showing.

However the initial lists I saw did not include Nationalities so I didn't know some of the particulars until today when my starter pack arrived. No.1 oddity, Bulgarian fighter?!!? WTF. Now I don't deny Bulgaria's involvement in the Axis or the fact they flew the D.520. But we're adding a new nation in a very likely last set!!! We could've assigned that last reprint slot to a dozen different Axis or Allied nations using sculpts available and we chose Bulgaria. *facepalm*

One of the first things I looked for was the appendix in the back of the new rulebook listing the AAM stats for the A20 aircraft. All in all it looked pretty good and added a couple ground attack options for some nations. Finally the Soviets have a Sturmovik from 1941 onward! The one question I have is on the P-39 listed as AV 3/2/-, which seems weak. I've put it to the Wizards Q&A and in six months or so, I'm sure we'll have an answer.

The sculpts look good and the P-38, IL-2 and Stuka are monsters! It would have been great to see a Val or Dauntless given the theme of the set, but if I could've picked two ground attack aircraft they would have been the IL-2 and Ju-87 so I'm happy. My big disappointment was the lack of a P-47, which I would have liked to see in a ground-attack role. However, it'll leave me something to look forward to if another set is put together.

One fun addition was a new map to play on for the starter. It features an island below the combat zone to go along with the general theme.

I'm running out of steam after a long day. If you have specific questions, I'd be glad to try to answer them for you. Just let me know what you're interested in finding out.
"Grammar is very important the the Nazi Party." - Grammar Nazis
:lol:

RichtervonManthofen

Re: Bandits High Review

Unread post by RichtervonManthofen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:38 pm

As I was short 6 planes of a full set after my initial purchase - Iended up getting another case ;) - I am happy now.

As i will probably use the planes only for the land game, i am less concerned what is a Ace and what is a Rookie (I probably will compile a list that offers options from Rookie to Ace for all available planes)

I too was surprised by the Bulgarian plane, but its something new ;) - I still HOPE for a third set that has all the planes we still miss (VAL and SBD for once)

Centurion

Unread post by Centurion » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:31 pm

Pletch wrote:Finally we have what could very likely be the last Axis & Allies Miniatures set ever. If this is the last A20 set, I can go happy knowing a lot of my wants have been included. In addition the AAM crowd wanting all of their aircraft "upgraded" can be happy knowing only 6: Do335, Me262, N1K-J, Meteor, IL-10 and MiG-1, did not get the "upgrade" treatment. Considering the IL-2 has the same AAM stats as the IL-10 and the Yak-1 is a suitable replacement for the MiG-1, you could drop that to 4. Also jets may not have ever worked well with the A20 system, so that leaves the Do335 and N1K-J which of those two only the N1K-J will be truly missed by myself. The Do335 is cool, but was a rather rare aircraft only available for the very end of the war.

When I looked at the initial set list a couple days ago two big things jumped out at me IL-2 and Ju-87. There had been hints these were coming but they were welcome on the list. Secondly, as they should in a Pacific themed set, the US and Japan made out big. Surprisingly, the UK did not. You could take into account the Australian, Polish and Canadian aircraft, (all UK used designs) and then the British make a decent showing.

However the initial lists I saw did not include Nationalities so I didn't know some of the particulars until today when my starter pack arrived. No.1 oddity, Bulgarian fighter?!!? WTF. Now I don't deny Bulgaria's involvement in the Axis or the fact they flew the D.520. But we're adding a new nation in a very likely last set!!! We could've assigned that last reprint slot to a dozen different Axis or Allied nations using sculpts available and we chose Bulgaria. *facepalm*

One of the first things I looked for was the appendix in the back of the new rulebook listing the AAM stats for the A20 aircraft. All in all it looked pretty good and added a couple ground attack options for some nations. Finally the Soviets have a Sturmovik from 1941 onward! The one question I have is on the P-39 listed as AV 3/2/-, which seems weak. I've put it to the Wizards Q&A and in six months or so, I'm sure we'll have an answer.

The sculpts look good and the P-38, IL-2 and Stuka are monsters! It would have been great to see a Val or Dauntless given the theme of the set, but if I could've picked two ground attack aircraft they would have been the IL-2 and Ju-87 so I'm happy. My big disappointment was the lack of a P-47, which I would have liked to see in a ground-attack role. However, it'll leave me something to look forward to if another set is put together.

One fun addition was a new map to play on for the starter. It features an island below the combat zone to go along with the general theme.

I'm running out of steam after a long day. If you have specific questions, I'd be glad to try to answer them for you. Just let me know what you're interested in finding out.

I see pattern here Bulgaria in the what could be last Angels 20 set, and Croatia in the what could be last AAM set: Counteroffensive, WotC has gone cuckoo. I have to say Angels 20 looked kind of cool, but I never used my official AAM planes, so I didn't see the use of getting more. Eventually i traded them all off. Still; I must say from the pictures I've seen they look awesome, and more to scale. The maps look ok, but a little bland.
A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end. George S. Patton

Nissan lover and Ace of Base fan
A.K.A.: Centurion24

Ace of Aces
Mod
Mod

Unread post by Ace of Aces » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:23 pm

The maps are bland, but the way the game is designed the terrain is superfluous. Adding in some canyons, hills, mountains and other features to maneuver around would make things a bit more interesting!

Someone correct me if I am wrong, the planes should be scaled close if not exact to AAM pieces (v2 vehicles). I haven't ordered my starter yet but I see Amazon has it for $26 so it may be on its way here soon!
[align=center]ImageImage - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ImageImage[/align]

Locozugmeister
Paint Nazi
Paint Nazi
Location: Hiding backround junk so Dano won't see 'em and get distracted.

Unread post by Locozugmeister » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:33 pm

:bowty: The planes from A-20 are much bigger than the AAM planes. I believe they are 1/100 scale which is correct for V-2 and the AAM planes are a smaller scale.