Maybe helpful for developing house rules?

Discuss general AAM topics here

Moderator: FieldMarshall Ober

Der Engel
Mod
Mod

Maybe helpful for developing house rules?

Unread post by Der Engel » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm a land-based guy, but I've been reading lately about the Luftwaffe and there was a great comparison chart that I hadn't considered before. This was an illustration of the "weight of fire" that battling airplanes could bring to bear on one another. This was specifically looking at the Battle of Britain, but I wish it had more!

Basically, it considers the weight of metal/bullets/shells that a aircraft could throw at another aircraft in a 3 second burst (standard length of fire in a dogfight).

Supermarine Spitfire Mk 1
Armament: 8x7.62mm MGs
Weight of Fire: 10 lbs.

Messerschmitt Bf 109E
Armament: 2x7.9mm MGs & 2x20mm cannon
Weight of Fire: 18 lbs.

For comparison they added in the stats of the late war armament of the Fw190A in 1944...the weight of fire had increased to 37lbs!

Don't know if this helps as you consider house rules and custom units as you work through this new aspect of the game...but I found it interesting!

Snippersly

Re: Maybe helpful for developing house rules?

Unread post by Snippersly » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Inertia and weight create a wound channel which is what causes the damage, the more, the bigger, and the better the penetration the better. Cool info and research!
God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change the things I can... and the Firepower to make the difference.

I aim to misbehave.

Captain Chum

Re: Maybe helpful for developing house rules?

Unread post by Captain Chum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 am

Snippersly wrote:Inertia and weight create a wound channel which is what causes the damage, the more, the bigger, and the better the penetration the better. Cool info and research!
Never thought of it that way. Very interesting.