View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Denis Courcy's Blog     Danaussie's WaS Forum     aarules Scenario Site     Joebunda's AAM resource site     SgtFury's Rules Q & A Site     AAM Database     Cornerstone Games     Forumini 

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Pilot Skill costing 

Hi all,

One thing that has been on my mind since A20 premiered was the concept of pilot skill. I agree with the concept and think that it adds to game play experience. One idea I toyed with was creating a houserule (albeit extensive) about costing planes and pilots separately - choose the plane (at a fixed point cost) then decide on the skill level of the pilots you scramble.

My thinking was that this could:
-encourage use of planes that might otherwise be overlooked (based on sub-par pilot ratings)
-help round out points for matches (instead of jumbling mis-matched or less-than-ideal plane combinations)
-alleviate anticipation of WotC printing/reprinting your favorite plane at a different skill level
-the obvious: account for the varying skill of pilots who took to the stick of the same airframe

I realize this could get complicated quickly, but was wondering what everyone's take on the topic might be. Bottom line: planes would have a base level cost, and aircraft-specific abilities, which the pilots would supplement with characteristic pilot abilities.

Ideas? Comments? Considerations? Folksy witticisms? Have fun!

All the best,
Encore

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:22 pm

Update: Started mathing this out last night (mathing = "math" in verb form). I came up with what I think is a sound and workable costing formula - will post more as things come together (if there is any interest).

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:14 pm

So...I came up with a costing formula of sorts, based on comparison of existing units that have different pilot skill levels. It's not 100% perfect across the board with each plane, but I found a workable costing solution.

After working the numbers on all the card of both sets, I ended up reading about the Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures game (no, not going to get myself into ANOTHER collectible minis game). As it turns out, that game uses a variable costing method where you choose the fighter, and then outfit it with a pilot, each with progressive abilities (the exact thing I'm going for here). With a bit more research, I think it would be fun to do this with A20 -

Rookies- could have a simple ability and/or variable disability based on performance limits/flaws (ex. though trained to do a fast dive away from Zekes rather than get into a turning dogfight, pilots of early model P-38s could find themselves locked in a dive from compressibility)

Average- generic ability

Veteran- give 1-2 maneuver abilities that the aircraft's pilots utilized extensively/most effectively (split, boom and zoom, etc.)

Ace- Expert dogfighter / expert abilities (2 maneuvers as long as one is ______)

Thanks for reading!
Questions? Comments? Ideas? Clever witticisms?

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]